Teaching Artist: Summer Camp Lead Instructor
Reports to: Education & Programs Associate
Term: One week camps run July 6-August 14 – teaching artists will be contracted for one week increments, Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4pm (camp contact hours are 9:30am – 3:30pm). Multiple week contracts may be available for teaching artists who have experience with a variety of ages and/or art skills/camp themes.
Compensation: $1,200 per week
The Summer Camp Lead Instructor develops and teaches BIMA Summer Camps, designed to engage youth in the exploration of art and craft in a fun and creative environment. This position works closely with the Education & Programs Associate to plan all aspects of BIMA Summer Camp during the contracted week(s) – including logistics, curriculum, classroom management, art projects, and other camp activities and games.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Develop curriculum and art projects that foster individual and collaborative teamwork-based experiences.
- Correlate themes and activities to BIMA’s mission, and encourage connections to exhibitions when possible.
- Work cooperatively with the Education staff on camp logistics, projects, supply list and schedule.
- Teach and facilitate art projects, games, and other fun, focused and safe camp activities.
- Communicate with Education staff and/or parents about camp projects, events, and any behavioral problems.
- Work with and supervise the Summer Camp Assistant
- Organize a tabletop gallery or showcase of student work for families on the final day of camp
Qualifications & Skills
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in art education, studio art, craft, or design, or a related field
- One to two years’ experience teaching art to youth audiences; summer camp experience a plus
- Experience with behavior management teaching art to youth of different ages and abilities in a classroom or summer camp setting, including behavior management
- Friendly, open attitude and passion for working with children
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with staff and students
- Strong customer service skills utilizing courtesy, tact, flexibility and good judgment
- Strong organizational, planning, problem-solving and time-management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Availability for one or more weeks of summer camp at BIMA
- Physical ability to perform job functions
- Clearance of criminal background check
|Week 1 – Comics 101 with Lin Lucas
Week 2 – July 13-17
Week 3 – July 20-24
Week 4 – July 27-31
Week 5 – August 3-7
Week 6 – August 10-14
|6-9 years (2 camps offered)
10-13 years (2 camps offered)
14-17 years (1 portfolio development intensive offered)
|Sample Themes: Art & Nature, Architecture 101, Drawing for Portfolio Development, Kinetic Sculpture, Wearable Art|
Plead submit the following to Emma Cantrell, Education & Programs Associate by December 2, 2019 – firstname.lastname@example.org
- A brief cover letter including sample camp theme (or themes) and description(s), including age level of students
- Résumé (2 pages max)
- Your availability for one-week increments between July 13-August 14
- Website or visual documentation of art and student work
The BIMA Bistro is looking for a multi-talented individual to join our team. Do you enjoy preparing food as much as you love interacting with customers? The server position is ideal for hard-working, creative, flexible multi-taskers who do everything from assisting customers to serving drinks and our made-from-scratch recipes. You should be fast while consistent and detail-oriented, friendly and knowledgeable when acting as cashier, caring and considerate as part of a small team.
- Previous kitchen experience
- Great customer service experience
- Current food handler’s card and class 12 mixologist permit (may be obtained at time of hire)
- Must be able to pass a background check
- Neat and organized; show positive attitude even during a busy rush
- Demonstrate initiative and require little supervision
Job Type: Approximately 20 hours/week (including a Saturday or Sunday), with opportunities to pick up extra hours covering for staff on vacation/ill or for special events. Preference will be given to those candidates with some flexibility in their schedules to pick up extra shifts.
Compensation: Hourly rate & free shift meal.
How to Apply: Please email your resume to email@example.com. In your email, tell us how you meet or exceed the minimum requirements and why you should be a part of our team.